Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Some more Harry Potter


I'm currently re-reading the last book of the Harry Potter series and I'm still amazed at how strange the book feels to me. Parts of it are BRILLIANT while parts of it is actually boring!!!


The start of the book was excellent and a real page turner. I loved Dudley's part in it. The part where Harry and Hermione were going from place to place was dragging on and on. Nagini coming out of Bathilda Bagshot's body was just plain wierd. Even Xenophilius's part felt a bit wrong.


Now let me get into the parts of the book I LOVED.


  • Dudley's parting words

  • Ron and Hermione finally getting together (I wish there were more lovey dovey parts though!)

  • Percy finally joining in the fighting

  • Snape's story (God, it was so very touching... That chapter was so well written! My heart nearly broke reading it)

  • Dobby dying (so sad!!!)

  • Kreacher (totally unexpected!)

  • The battle at Hogwarts (COOL!)

  • Fred, Lupin and Tonks dying

I also finally got down to watching the "Order of the Phoenix" movie. There were some parts of the movie that were totally different to the book and parts which weren't shown at all.


  • I can't believe that they made it out that Cho Chang betrayed the DA meetings instead of her friend!

  • The valentines day meeting was also not shown...

  • Sirius's mother's portrait was also not shown and Kreacher's part in Sirius dying was also missing.

  • As I recall, Sirius died due to falling through the veil in the archway and not due to the "Avada Kadavra" killing curse!

  • The other items in the Department of Mysteries were also missing (such as the tank full of brains and the bowl of time or whatever.

  • Harry destroying Dumbledore's office was also not shown.

  • The true version of how Harry finds out about the prophecy is missing

A review of the movie can be found here.


All in all, I'm sad that this great series has to end. I hope that J. K. Rowling comes up with a new series which is just as great as this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kal... movies based on books are never better than the original books. It happens all the time. The same goes with Harry Potter movies. The people who watch the movie usually say they don't understand it much.. but us... the readers.. we can understand the movie... but we still hate it. True enough. Anyways.. glad to have a Harry Potter buddy like u.. So that we have something in common to talk about. Let's wait for the next movie and see whether it will come as a success.. the next one at least :)